Nursing Careers AustraliaNursing Australia Careers, we recruit, place and support Indian nurses in nursing positions throughout Australia.

Frequently Asked Questions

These frequently asked questions are offered to save you time. Select a Category and quickly find the answer to your question. If you have further questions please contact us.

Applying for a Working Visa

Australian Nurse Registration

Competency Based Assessment Program (CBAP)

Documentation Required in Applying for Registration

During your Employment

English Language Proficiency Requirements

Expenses during Pre Registration Course (CBAP)

Other issues during Pre Registration Course (CBAP)

Relocation after Registration & Visa Approval

Starting Employment

Question: RN Teena Thomas is now an Australian Citizen!

recently granted Australian Citizenship!

RN Teena Thomas and her young family are celebrating a major milestone after she was recently granted Australian Citizenship! “Australia is our home so my husband Sam and son Jeremy are all very excited,” she said. “Before I used to feel like a foreigner but now I feel like part of the community.”

Born in Ernaluman, Kerala India and now living in Toowoomba in southern Queensland, Teena has achieved great career success since moving to Australia with Nursing Careers Australia in February 2008. In addition to working in aged care, the talented RN also works in one of the state’s busiest hospitals.

“There is so much job satisfaction and opportunities to study and develop your career, something that is not possible but in my home country,” Teena said. The next big goal for Teena and Sam is buying a home. “This is something we are really excited about,” she said.

Follow more success stories of overseas nurses living and working in Australia with Nursing Careers Australia here. 

back to top

Question: The facts about 457 visas

Myth: The Australian Government wants to stop overseas workers taking Australian jobs.

Fact: Any changes to the 457 Visa System is Australia are designed to:

  • Ensure the rights of sponsored workers
  • Impose obligations on sponsors to ensure that sponsored workers are protected and that the program is not used inappropriately
  • Enable monitoring, detection, deterrence and enforcement in relation to any inappropriate use of the program

Fact: Nurses with 457 Visas remain on the critical shortage list in Australia AND remain in high demand.

Read here about the exciting career opportunities for overseas nursers working in Australia.

back to top

Question: How to become a Registered Nurse in Australia

Becoming an overseas-qualified nurse working in Australia, like Asha Rajan pictured here, depends on a number of important factors, including:

  • The country where you undertook your nursing education
  • The nursing college/university you attended
  • Your nursing qualifications and experience
  • Your English Proficiency Level (Academic IELTS individual band scores of 7.0 or OET B in every band

For overseas nurses, registration can be a process based on verification of documents, such as:

  • Your identity: Passport & Birth Certificate
  • Your Nursing Education: Bachelor of Nursing or BSc in Nursing
  • Evidence of Registration as a Nurse in your home country
  • Your Nursing work experience
  • English Language proficiency: IELTS 7.0 all modules
  • Evidence that you have undertaken Continuing Professional Development (CPD) within the last 12-months

Nurses who were educated in countries not recognised by Australian authorities will be required to undertake an accredited bridging program of a 12-week duration in Australia. There are a number of accredited bridging programs available in Australia but the Universities are preferred because they are the institutions that train Australian nurses in the Bachelor of Nursing.

These programs are also preferred by Australian Employers as their nurses graduate “employment ready”. Nursing Careers Australia submits your application for registration to AHPRA and, if successful, enrols you in the appropriate University Bridging Program.

To find out more about this process, and how Nursing Careers Australia help overseas-qualified nurses successfully apply to AHPRA and enrol you in an approved University Bridging Program, register your interest here.

back to top

Question: what will be my approx. salary once i starts working.

Answer: see attached-depends on you level, which we have not worked out yet but the attached will give you an idea based on your 3.5 years of work as a registered nurse you may be year 5-6 salary ranges for year 4 $54000-$70000 depending on shifts you work maybe more unlikely to be less than $54,000 back to top

Question: When you came to cochin and did brief us you said , the nurse will get a job offer before she leaves india. But now in the contract it doesn’t mention the same.

this is a services contract
there is a different contract for employment
between you and employer
we can’t guarantee a job, but no one has left india without one
we will be conducting interviews soon.

back to top

Question: May i know under what all circumstances the cbap provider doesn’t enroll the nurse and the nurses registration board refuses to register the nurse?

If they fail cbap or committ a crime etc.

back to top

Question: is my airfare (india to australia), medical and xray in india for immigration and 456 visa included in $17968?

Answer: medicals xrays, airfares no! back to top

Question: Is there any hidden charges other than $ 17968, which I have to pay other than, increased charges by key external providers?

Answer: None that i know of and we have been doing this for 3 years
we don’t operate like that.

only possible extra expenses would be ones you decide you need but don’t help you in becoming registered such as computer, plasma tv airplane, car etc.

we want you to be registered, and employed , that’s our focus

back to top

Question: Approx. in how many months after the CBAP program will he be able to join me?

usually 4-8 weeks
the approval for you is 1-2 weeks
your family4-8 weeks
the immigration dept wants to get you earning money as quickly as possible.

back to top

Question: If I am married after I start work how will my husband be able to migrate to Australia?

Coming soon…

back to top

Question: If I have to pay for my spouse’s visa how much is the amount?

Answer: $1060, they can be on the same application as yours. If you add them later it will cost more. We quote a Visa fee of $800 in the total services contract, and this means we pay this for you once you have paid the full amount of the services contract. This fee is paid to DIAC. Everybody who applies for a work visa pays this fee no matter who they are. You do have to pay for your families’ airfares and relocation costs when they arrive. By this time you will have earnt at least $4000-$10000 depending on when they relocate. back to top

Question: Is it a family visa? Do I need to apply myself, for another visa for my spouse?

We do it all for you, It is one application for you and your family.

back to top

Question: After completing the CBAP program how much time will take before you are granted a working visa work visa?

Answer: Usually 2-4 weeks. If possible, we apply for your working visa before you finish your course so we save processing time this way. The department of immigration (DIAC) cannot approve the visa until they have your registration certificate back to top

Question: Could you please tell me the approximate amount of rental expenses, lease preparation fees and rental bonds for an accommodation?

Depends on how you choose to live.

Most nurses share accommodation (after you pass the course) before their family arrives in Australia.

In this case the most you would pay would be $125-175/week for 2 nurses sharing accommodation.

If you have a place for just you and the family rent can be between $200-$350 depending where you live.

Sydney is more expensive than other cities and certain areas of Sydney are more or less expensive than other areas.

We have nurses in an exclusive area of Sydney paying $350 rent per week, and nurses in other areas pay $200 rent per week.

It will depend on where you work as to where you live.

back to top

Question: Will I be able to call my home and how much will it cost?

Answer: Phone calls by mobile phone in Australia are expensive, both locally and overseas

We will set you up with a new sim card (you will be required to provide the phone), that will allow you to call your fellow students for almost no cost.

Calls to other networks not covered by Optus (the phone company we use) will cost you money.

Overseas calls are best made by purchasing phone cards ($10 for 60 minutes).

These cards require you to call from a local public or home fixed line, to take advantage of their cheap rate.

Our company uses phone cards to call overseas since they are so cheap.

Your parents and realtives can call you either on your mobile or the phone we have installed in your accommodation.

You pay us $4 per week each for this home service as part of your accommodation cost.

back to top

Question: Will I be able to visit a church of my religion?

Answer: There are over 200 religions represented in Australia, and churches or places of worship to represent every religion.

We will identify the location of these for you and give you directions on how to visit these.

back to top

Question: What can I do in my leisure time?

Answer: You won’t have too much spare time due to study demands; however on weekends you will have time to see the sights.

Most nurses spend time going to church, seeing the cities, and seeing friends they may have in Australia.

back to top

Question: What type of entertainment is available in Sydney and other cities?

Answer: There is at least one Indian restaurant in each suburb of the major Australian cities, and in many cases more.

The major cities have many sightseeing attractions which are either free on reasonable priced.

All suburbs have large movie complexes with the latest movies.

Video rental stores will provide you with movies from your own culture.

back to top

Question: Will I be able to buy food from my country?

Answer: Australia has 43% of its population either born overseas or a parent who was born overseas making it the most multicultural country in the world today.

Consequently a large variety of restaurants and food stores cater for these different cultures.

In particular there are Asian and Indian grocery stores in nearly every suburb and we will provide you with the location.

back to top

Question: How will I travel to work and for shopping?

Answer: You will most likely be within walking distance or a short ride on public transport from major shopping centres and your work.

back to top

Question: Is there public transport and what does it cost?

Answer: You will be located close to bus and or train transport which runs frequently and is reasonably priced.

Train and bus tickets cost between $3 and $5 per trip depending on the destination and distance.

back to top

Question: What happens if I get sick during the course?

Answer: Your accommodation will be located close to medical facilities, and hospitals. The first option is to see a doctor (GP), who will refer you to the appropriate specialist, or hospital. Hospital casualty services are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week back to top

Question: Do I have to take care of my food – at class, in clinical work, and other times?

Answer: There will be cooking facilities in your accommodation and you are expected to purchase food (with the money we give you each week) and cook for yourself, or as a group.

Most nurses prepare food for their lunches and take this to class and clinical postings.

back to top

Question: What is the detail of my living costs?

Answer: Total living costs are $130 per nurse per week . These costs are specified in the services agreement, and an attached schedule gives you the detail;

  • Food & personal: $60 per nurse/week (includes all food and drinks, personal grooming & hygiene items, household items; toilet paper, soap garbage bags etc).
  • Transport: $20 per nurse/week (includes cost of local buses, trains on weekends for leisure and during weekdays for attending class, clinical placements etc).
  • Medical Services: $10 per nurse/week (includes cost of pharmacy items, doctor’s appointments. Most nurses do not need this much but if you have flu etc you will need to attend a medical centre. Serious illness or accidents will usually be covered by travel insurance).
  • Mobile Phone: $20 per nurse/week(includes cost of a new sim card ($30), and calls to other phones. All calls to your fellow nurses will be free if called on same network. Calls to overseas are expensive and not included. Calls to India can be made using a $10 phone card (60 mins of call time to India), and calling on home phone. Calls to other networks will usually cost from $0.34 to $0.50 per 30 seconds.
  • Entertainment: $20 per nurse/week (includes cost of movies, amusement parks, meals etc).
back to top

Question: What is the detail of my accommodation costs?

Answer: Total accommodation costs are $200 per nurse per week . These costs are specified in the services agreement, and an attached schedule gives you the detail;

  • Weekly rent :$156 per nurse/week (includes furnished accommodation, shared room);
    • In Sydney you would normally pay $300/week for similar accommodation.
  • Phone Calls: $4 per nurse/week (this is cost of using the phone in the accommodation premisies for local calls only and does not include the cost of mobile calls or long distance calls).
  • Utilities:$16 per nurse/week (includes cost of services; water rates, electricity, Gas, billed to accommodation premises, in many cases this will not pay all the bills, but you will not be billed for more).
  • Maintenance:$24 per nurse/week (includes cost of cleaning accommodation premises weekly by outside contractors, and maintenance that will be required from time to time on appliances, lights, garden, grass cutting etc. this is below what it will cost us).
back to top

Question: Why are my costs higher than that required for students on student visas?

Answer: Short term, furnished accommodation, is approximately double that of accommodation rented for 12 months or more without furniture. (Your accommodation, unfurnished, on a long term basis, would be $100 per nurse per week, sharing with others.)

This is the difference between $17,160 and $12,000 required by the government.

Living and food costs are approximately the same long or short term.

back to top

Question: How much will my accommodation and living expenses be?

Answer: Your total accommodation and living expenses will be $330 per week ($200 accommdoation, $130 living)

The Australian Government estimates the accommodation and living expenses for students studying in Australia are $12,000 (not including education fees) per annum per person.

They insist on students applying for a student visa, having at least $12,000 to cover these costs each year, irrespective of whether they work or not.

The amount we have allocated to you is $17,160 ($330 x 52 weeks), which is more than adequate to cover all your needs in 14 weeks.

back to top

Question: What type of costs might you agree to pay in addition to budgeted costs?

Answer: Costs that is necessary for you to pass the course and become registered and employed in Australia as a nurse.

back to top

Question: What costs are not included?

Answer: Unreasonable expenses, such as personal items you don’t need to pass the course

The costs not included, will be specified in the services agreement you sign with us.

We cannot anticipate every cost you might incur, in which case we will assess the need and decide at the time.

back to top

Question: Do I have to take extra money from my pocket for food while doing the Competency Based Assessment Program (CBAP)?

Answer: No The price we quote will be inclusive of all reasonable living and accommodation costs. This means we may assist in finding reasonable accommodation  during the 14 weeks from the day you arrive in Australia to your first day of work. You must have funds in your Australian bank account for rent,food, travel entertainment and personal items, and this is what you have to spend on personal items food etc Most nurses actually save money from the actual quoted costs back to top

Question: How do I enrol in a CBAP Course?

Answer: Contact Nursing Careers Australia and we will first assess you, and then advise you on the best course of action.

Once agreed and decided and you have entered our programme we will apply for registration and ultimately enrol you in a CBAP course if required by the State Nurses Board.

back to top

Question: How are Nurses Assessed in CBAP Courses?

Assessment is evidence based

Key elements in the assessment model include:

  • Self-assessment by the nurse candidate
  • Observation by the assessor of the nurse candidate.
  • Interviews by the assessor with the others: peers, persons receiving nursing care, supervisors.
  • Analysis by the assessor of all relevant documentation: care plans, patient charts and notes

Sources of evidence may include:

  • Observation of performance
  • Audit of documents such as care plans and clinical records
  • Interviewing of the nurse candidate to reveal intentions and attitudes
  • Interviewing colleagues and persons receiving nursing care.
  • Testing (for example drug calculations, written assignments, multi choice questions)
  • Examining records of previous achievements
back to top

Question: What is the duration of CBAP Courses?

Answer: Courses range from 8 to 12 weeks in duration.

Some universities conduct 6 and 12 month courses.

back to top

Question: What other courses are available that leads to Australian registration?

Answer: Graduate entry courses, where available, may provide recognition for students’ prior education.

These courses will normally take 3 years to complete, unless you are able to claim exemptions for some subjects.

Applicants with prior education in nursing or midwifery may be able to obtain significant recognition of prior learning, depending on factors including the extent to which the breadth and depth of content in prior studies are similar to the curriculum of a recognised course.

Decisions about exemptions will be made by the universities based on your past nursing education and experience.

Nursing Careers Australia can provide a list of recognised courses.

back to top

Question: When can I undertake this CBAP Course?

Answer:Places in assessment programs may be limited and, as an alternative, applicants may undertake a course which is recognised by the Board to lead to registration enrolment, as applicable.

Nursing careers Australia is able to enrol you in a course quickly, when under normal circumstances you may have to wait up to 18 months.

back to top

Question: Where will the assessment take place?

Answer: The assessment is undertaken in the State where you applied, and an appropriate visa for Australia will be required.

Assessment takes place in Board approved classrooms, Nursing laboratories and hospitals.

The institution conducting the assessment program may have other entry requirements.

If there are additional requirements you will be advised at the time of referral to the assessment program.

back to top

Question: Who is required to Undertake CBAP?

Answer: Nurses who have undertaken nursing education in countries outside Australia.

Australian nurses who have retired but wish to return to practice.

Nurses who are required to show they are fit to continue working.

back to top

Question: Why am I required to undertake this course if I am already registered as a nurse?

While some applicants may be able to obtain registration or enrolment on the basis of their education and experience, many applicants are required to demonstrate competence and safe practice.

This is done by your successful completion of an assessment program for nurses or midwives.

If the Board requires you to complete this assessment program, you will be referred to the program and be issued a letter from the Board.

back to top

Question: How will I be assessed in these courses?

Answer: All Australian nurses are assessed based on the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council (ANMC) National Competency Standards.

Competence is defined by the Australian Nursing Council (ANC) as:

“The combination of skills, knowledge, attitudes, values, and abilities that underpin effective performance in a professional/occupational area”.

back to top

Question: What is a Competency Based Assessment Program (CBAP)?

Answer: State Nursing Boards have approved courses which assess the competency of nurses to practice.

These courses are sometimes referred to as “Pre-Registration Programmes” or “Bridging Courses”.

back to top

Question: Will I need to complete a Competency Based Assessment Program/Bridging Program?

Please speak with us directly regarding these programs so that we can provide you with accurate information.

back to top

Question: What is a Practicing License?

Answer: An annual practicing licence is a document issued by the nursing and midwifery regulatory authority after payment of renewal of registration fee, this could be annually or every 3 years depending on the state.

A practising license is generally a credit card sized document.

back to top

Question: What is an Initial Registration Certificate?

Answer: A registration certificate is issued by the nursing and midwifery regulatory authority when a nurse first applies and gains registration in Australia or New Zealand.

A registration certificate is generally the size of a sheet of A4 paper.

back to top

Question: Who can certify documents?

Answer: Listed below are the only people who can certify documents submitted to the ANMC:

  • Legal Practitioner
  • Justice of the Peace
  • Peace Commissioner
  • Commissioner of Oaths
  • Commissioner of Declarations
  • Notary Public
  • Judge
  • Magistrate
  • Person legally designated to sign documents from an embassy or consulate
  • When certifying documents, the above person needs to include the following statement on each document;
    “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document which I have seen.”
    Signature: Date:
    Contact Address: Phone number:

    Official stamp or seal if available with address and phone number.
    It is suggested that the person who certifies your application form is the same person who certifies all of your documents.

back to top

Question: What is a ‘Verification’ of Registration?

Answer: A Verification of Registration is a letter confirming registration and good standing of a nurse or midwife.

It is provided by the organisation responsible for the registration of nurses and midwives in your country.

Verifications must be sent directly to the State Nurses Board to whom you are applying.

Copies of verifications sent by you, or your agent will not be accepted.

back to top

Question: What type of conditions will be imposed?

Conditions can include;

  • Completing English Language testing to achieve the required score.
  • Presenting original documents to verify your English proficiency.
  • Undertaking a Competency Based Assessment Program (CBAP) in Australia.
  • Undergoing additional training.
  • Other conditions depending on your application.
back to top

Question: Once I am accepted for registration, what is the next step?

Answer: Approval of your application for registration may be conditional, that is you will be required to satisfy several conditions before you are given an Authority to Practice in any Australian State.

back to top

Question: Why is time so important in applying for Australian nurse registration?

The Australian requirements for overseas nurses are changing frequently, and always becoming more difficult for overseas nurses to achieve.

As an example recently NSW State Nurses Board changed the following;

  • No longer accept Diplomas in Nursing awarded in most countries.
  • Will only accept BSc degrees from recognised universities.
  • Have changed the English requirement to 7.0 in every band.

Not applying quickly, or being delayed in your application, may cost you the opportunity to ever become an Australian nurse.

back to top

Question: How long will it take if I apply thru Nursing Careers Australia?

Answer: Between 6 -12 weeks if you have the correct documentation
We will ensure you have the appropriate and correct documents

back to top

Question: Why can’t I apply for registration independently on my own?

Answer: You can, and some do, but it will take longer, up to 18 months

In addition you not be successful, if you don’t understand what the Boards are looking for, they can be very particular about their requirements.

In addition the regulations and rules are changing every 6 months and if you are not aware of these changes your application will fail.

back to top

Question: If I apply for registration will I be guaranteed registration?

Success in registering with a State Nursing Board will depend on how well you meet the standards above.

No one can guarantee you registration until the State Nurses Board assesses your identity, education and registration documents.

Barriers to registration include;

  • Failure to establish your true identity with government sourced documents
  • Ceremonial marriage certificates, birth certificates in a language other than English are some examples of documents not accepted.
  • Changing names, abbreviating names, without government documentation support is a significant problem.
  • Inadequate documents used as proof of nursing education, registration, English language ability.
  • Failure of Australian authorities to recognise your nursing school or degree.
back to top

Question: How will I know if I can be registered by a State Nursing Board?

Careers International will give you a full assessment of your prospects and advise you on what course of action to follow.

In some cases this may involve;

  • Applying immediately for registration
  • Undertaking English language tuition and exams
  • Changing nursing jobs in order to gain appropriate experience
  • Undertaking a longer degree course such as a BSc in Nursing.
back to top

Question: How do the Nurses Boards of Australia decide if they will register me?

Standard 1; Applicant has completed a nursing or midwifery program assessed as being comparable to education in Australia at the time the course was undertaken, leading to a license/eligibility/registration to practise.

  • Australian Nursing and Midwifery Regulatory Authorities (NMRAs), with the exception of NSW, have assessed nursing qualifications obtained in one of the following countries as being adequate for the purpose of registration as a nurse.
  • Applicant has completed an education program leading to registration/license/eligibility as a nurse in one of the following countries:
    • United Kingdom
    • Canada
    • The Republic of South Africa
    • The Republic of Ireland
    • Singapore
    • United States of America
    • Hong Kong
  • EU member states where the nursing education meets the EU directive 77/453
  • Proof of English language competence is required from applicants who completed their nursing course in one of the following countries
    (refer Standard 6):

    • The Republic of South Africa
    • Singapore
    • Hong Kong
    • Canadian provinces of Quebec and New Brunswick

Standard 2; An applicant, who does not meet Standard 1 requirements, may be assessed as eligible for registration if they successfully complete an assessment of competence sometimes called a bridging or pre registration program.

Standard 3; Applicant provides evidence of registration in an overseas country

Standard 4; Applicant provides evidence of experience as a registered nurse withing 5 years prior to the application.

Standard 5; Applicant’s true identity is established

Standard 6; Applicant meets English language proficiency requirements as determined by the state registration Boards policy.

back to top

Question: What is the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council Incorporated (ANMC)?

The ANMC is a peak body established in 1992 to facilitate a national approach to nursing and midwifery regulation.

The ANMC works with state and territory Nursing and Midwifery Regulatory Authorities (NMRA) in evolving standards for statutory nursing and midwifery regulation.

The ANMC does not have the power to register nurses.

back to top

Question: What do I do if I want to be registered in more than one state/territory?

Between all states and territories in Australia, there is an agreement called Mutual Recognition Legislation.

What this means is, that once you are registered in one state or territory, the process is simplified to gain registration in another state or territory.

Yes -You can hold registration in more than one state or territory at any given time.
Between New Zealand and Australia (except WA), there is an agreement called Trans -Tasman Mutual Recognition Legislation.

What this means is once you have gained registration in Australia, you can gain registration in New Zealand (and vice versa) through a simplified process.

back to top

Question: What documents will I require to present to the State Nursing Boards?

Application form


  • Current passport
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Other evidence of name change

Nursing Education:

  • Nursing Degree/Diploma certificate
  • Transcript
  • Additional education degrees/Diplomas

Nurse Registration:

  • Initial Nurse Registration Certificate
  • Subsequent Registration Certificates
  • Current Nurse Registration Certificates

Work Experience:

  • All work written references within last 5 years
  • Character references

English Langauge Tests:

  • ILETS or OET


  • By notary or JP of all copies as true copies of originals

Verification of Registration by your Nurses Board in your country

back to top

Question: What are the requirements for English Language in Australian Nursing Registration?

Each state has marginally different English language requirements.
However the general rule is;

  • International English Testing System (IELTS)
    • Academic Overall Score: 7.0
    • Band Scores: Speaking,Writing ,Reading,Listening 7.0
  • Occupational English Test (OET)
    • Pass at “B” level in each of 4 components
  • An English language test may not be required where an applicant’s nursing or midwifery course was undertaken in :
    • New Zealand
    • United Kingdom
    • Ireland
    • United States
    • Selected areas of Canada
back to top

Question: How do I become registered as an Australian Nurse?

Answer: An application is submitted to one of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.

back to top

Question: How many State Nursing Boards are there in Australia?


There is one Nurses Registration Authority in Australia. Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia offices are located in each state.

back to top

Question: Is registration as a nurse in Australia necessary?

Answer: Every nurse and midwife is required to obtain registration and maintain a current practicing licence (authority to practice) in order to work in Australia as a Registered Nurse /Registered Midwife.

In Australia, registration is granted by each individual state and territory Nursing and Midwifery Regulatory Authority (NMRA).

To register you will need to contact the Nursing and Midwifery Regulatory Authority in the state/territory in which you would intend to live and work or Nursing Careers Australia, and we will advise you.

back to top

Copyright © 2020 Nursing Careers Australia Google+