Australian Government Support
Australian Government Support for Overseas Nurses
Australia ’s Shortage of Registered Nurses:
- Australia is critically short of nurses due to:
- An ageing population
- Increasing demand for medical services.
- Government research estimates Australia will require an additional 40,000 nurses by 2010.
- These shortages apply to all geographical regions and specialty areas of nursing.
Priority Processing of Visas for Overseas Nurses
To help bridge the gap between supply and demand the Australian Federal Government is allowing overseas nurses to migrate to Australia to:
- work as registered nurses either as permanent migrants or temporary workers.
- Overseas Nurses, are listed on the Migration Occupation in Demand List (MODL)
- consequently receive priority processing for their visas.